<
>

Rebo Saguisag issues reminder to UAAP schools to follow quarantine rules

The UAAP reiterated Friday that its member schools should keep their teams in check and ensure that they follow existing government protocol in response to recent reports that one of its member schools held practices out of town in a bubble-like environment.

UAAP Executive Director Atty. Rebo Saguisag told ESPN5 that the league had met with representatives of the eight universities last month to discuss the joint administrative order released by the Dept. of Health, the Philippine Sports Commission, and the Games and Amusements Board last month.

"Based on available records, the UAAP in its regular meeting last month (all schools were present) discussed the PSC/DOH/GAB Joint Administrative Order (on professional sports)," Saguisag said.

"Each member school was reminded to police their own ranks and to be aware of the different quarantine classifications."

According to the existing protocol set by the government, practice of contact sports is strictly prohibited in areas placed under enhanced and modified enhanced community quarantines.

Meanwhile, limited practice for professional leagues such as the PBA and the PFF was allowed, provided that they field only four people at a time, along with a coach and a safety officer.

Saguisag clarified that they are following rules through the PSC, since they are amateur athletes. Any future move will have to be consulted with the concerned authorities. "For its part, the league reiterates that it will always be guided by the lead governmental agencies and will not run counter to any of its directives, hence the cancellation of Season 82, while the opening of Season 83 will have to wait until finally cleared by the government," closed Saguisag.